The system consists of two parallel VF wetlands, each 45 m². A nature track is made surrounding the wetland with educational signs for children. The treated wastewater ends up in a basin with a RO-treatment unit where drinking water is produced out of the wastewater, feeding a small fountain. The rest goes into a little beak and then to a pond.
Provincial domain Huizingen, Belgium
An educational wetland of 30 PE treating the sanitary wastewater of a toilet building.
- Type of wastewater treated: Domestic
- Hydraulic load: 4 - 6 m³/day
- Organic load (PE): 30 PE
- Organic design load (kg BOD/day): kg BOD/day
- Location: Huizingen, Belgium
- Client: Province of Vlaams Brabant
- Stage 1 type: Vertical flow, non-saturated
- Stage 1 surface area (m²): 90